Wednesday 6 August 2014

Memories in every stitch

Before I start prattling on, I have a picture to share, not quite at the page finish, but getting there, I should be at the end of this page by Friday I hope!

I'm sure that I am not the only one who attaches memories to their pieces of stitching. Many of my pieces were stitched through the nights when my babies were small and I was on night duty.  One of my sons would never sleep at night and insisted on playing with his Bob the Builder toys from 2am to 4am every single night! I stitched Teresa Wenzlers The Castle when he was 2 and a half, it took me just 6 weeks of nights sitting up keeping him company, watching endless re-runs of his Bob DVDs, I still smile when ever I look at it, thinking of his cheeky grins and sing songs in the middle of the night.

Looking through my photo's earlier, it hit me, that this project, being over such an extended period of time has had stitched into it, many more memories than most, some good, some bad.  When it is finished, I will be able to look on it and be reminded of the passing of time........as much as I am frustrated with myself for taking so long on her, she will be a special collage of a big chunk of my life.

When I started her, my youngest was just a cheeky toddler, now he is a very tall, lanky almost 7 year old.   My gorgeous kitten Jasper and my beloved Devon Rex Coco who both sweetly modelled on her for me, are now playing together over the rainbow bridge.
I'm sure that fur from all of my cats is sewn in there somewhere, along with a few of the grey hairs which seem to appear on my head every day.

Time passes, we cannot do anything to stop it, as long as we spend as much time as we can doing things that we love, then all is good :)

I have taken a great deal of pleasure from working on her this week, I've missed it.    Life got so busy there for a while, that I forgot to stop and taking some pleasure in my life, stitching on Night Queen has reminded me to stop and stitch and smile every now and again.

Even a work-a-holic is entitled to a couple of hours off a day, right?


3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about memories. Most of my stitching projects have memories attached and I have jotted them down on my Finished Projects page for all to see. It's good to see that you have picked up this massive project again. I missed seeing her regular updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, good to know I am not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post! You put how I think most of us feel into words perfectly!

    ReplyDelete